Founded in February 2022
95447 Bayreuth (DE)
Jump to Section:
Product & USPs
We dream of a world where every human can grow all the vegetables they need right inside their homes. No overproduction, no food waste and no harm to the climate. Fresh, highly nutritious and clean vegetables grown without lifting a finger.
After becoming aware of the problems of our modern food production, Myriad’s co-founders Miriam and Yannic, wanted to be independent from it. They experienced first hand how hard it is to grow your own vegetables the conventional way. If you don’t have the knowledge, space or time to take care of plants it is an impossible task. Miriam first discovered methods to grow plants without soil in her master thesis. Aeroponics, the cultivation of plants in a nutrient-enriched air is used on the International Space Station to grow chilies in space. She knew the technology can be used for their in-house cultivation project and after a few iterations she finished the first working prototypes.
With these first prototypes, they grew their first vegetables in only a few square meters of space: Tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchinis, paprika, beans, radishes and various herbs they had never heard of before. Their unforgettable taste made them realize that for the first time in their lives they had tasted truly fresh vegetables. While the plants grew fast and beautiful it was still a lot of effort keeping track of all the individual garden systems and the needs of the plants. Spending their weekends looking after the plants became a nuisance. And so, the couple wondered how they could automate the growing process.
With his experience in AI-supported smart systems, Yannic proposed the next step of the technology: An autonomous garden. A highly efficient, space saving system that doesn’t require the user’s attention and simply grows the plants by itself. No more entry barriers to gardening. Anybody can grow large amounts of flavorful vegetables like Miriam and Yannic do – no matter how small your flat or how little you know about the cultivation of plants. They quit their jobs to dedicate their lives to making their vision a reality. Myriad was born.
Miriam martín gonzález
Product & Electronics
Miriam studied Electrical Engineering in Spain and moved to Germany to work on satellites in a space industry company. She developed algorithms and simulations to track space debris in a Fraunhofer Institute. Her master thesis was the basis for the Myriad Garden. Since then she’s gained many years of experience building hydroponic and aeroponic systems.
Business & Data science
As a Business Engineer Yannic loves the interaction of technical and business related systems. After working in the space industry as a Project Engineer he helped build an aI-aided vehicle for the German government. He continued to work as a consultant for smart systems and data driven models before creating Germany’s first autonomous garden with Miriam.
- Autonomous Vertical Garden (Smart Garden v2.0)
- 16 plants slots to grow vegetables, berries, herbs and salads
- 5 weeks water tank capacity
- Size: 70x55x35 cm
- Materials: solid wood oak and black metal
- Sustainably farmed wood, treated with children-safe, non-toxic oil
- Weight: 12 kg (empty), up to 30 kg (with full water tank and plants); Hanging Rail supports up to 120 Kg
- Easy assembly: Garden comes preassembled. Only the lights have to be screwed in with simple screws, then plugged into common socket
- Connections: standard power socket, WiFi connection (optional)
No water connection required
- Grow fresh vegetables all year round while the garden takes care of your plants.
- 107 Plants per m². The same spacial efficiency as vertical farming, fits into every apartment.
- 2x Growth rate compared to traditional gardening. Our adaptive technology always provides the perfect environment in every plant growth stage. Our records are: first tomatoes 7 weeks after seeding, first basil harvest 3 weeks after seeding.
- Grow vegetables, berries, fruits, herbs and salads (e.g. tomatoes, cucumbers, paprika, chillis, zucchini, aubergines, beans, lentils and many more).
- No need for seasonal planning. Tomatoes grow just as fast in winter as in summer.
- Interact with the garden via the touchscreen, no additional smartphone app required.
- 99% Less water used to grow 1 kg of vegetable mass compared to traditional agriculture.
- 20 Watt per hour. The garden uses half the energy to grow new fresh food than your fridge uses to conserve dying food. Thanks to inhouse developed high quality grow lights implemented using state-of-the-art research.
- Clean and safe: system prevents algae, mold growth and smell.
- Patented technology
- March 2022: Prolongation of EXIST Scholarship
- November 2021: Selected as “one of Bavarias most promising startups”
- August 2021: Surpassed current state of technology (smart gardens)
- March 2021: EXIST Scholarship for technologically innovative startups (135.000€ grant & access to university laboratories)
- February 2021: Nominated in Bavarian Business Plan Competition
- November 2020: First vegetables grown automatically (tomatoes, beans, zucchini)
We’re very proud of both our small and big successes. We’re fully enjoying every aspect of life and of growing this startup.
We’ve put together some pictures that you can use in your article. Just click on the buttons to download the ZIP files for each of the categories. If you have an image in mind you think would fit your article best message us, and we will see if we can provide it for you.